I didn't expect to love this episode as much as I did, but wow, this was incredible! Reverend Run was a fantastic guest star with an amazing presence in the episode. He seemed like he was so into his role, and I honestly found his little raps throughout the episode to be kind of quirky and fun.
The setting of the abandoned Youth Center was super creepy and made the episode feel like it had the darkest tone of any episode in the show. The Ghost of Tabb Tatters and the Skeleton of Bones McCann were both incredible villains. I don't think they could have possibly made either of them any better. I wish we would have gotten to see Tabb Tatter's face turn into a skull more than just the one time in the cold open though, that was so spooky! The shadow of Bones McCann's skeleton coming down the hall towards the gang mid-way through the episode was arguably the creepiest scene in the show.
Another thing I found to be incredibly strong in this episode was the mystery. One shortcoming this series has repeatedly struggled with is not developing the mysteries very much in favor of focusing on the guest stars, but I thought this episode had a great balance of creating an engaging mystery and focusing on Reverend Run. The Crystal Cove reference when Velma was looking up the library database was fun too!
Honestly, even Shaggy and Scooby rapping didn't bother me at all. I found that and the "rap battle" with the Skeleton of Bones McCann pretty amusing. Shaggy and Scooby's "driver's license" rap was so cringey that it somehow became amazing because it was so bad lol. Olivia Rodrigo who? haha Scooby's rap at the end though wasn't in good as English as it was in Turkish. The Turkish version was far better haha.
I truly expected this to be an average episode, but this far surpassed any expectations I would have had for it. Maybe it's just the mood I'm in today...but just everything about this episode was amazing to me. This climbs right to the top for me, right below the Hex Girls at #2/52.
1. I Put a Hex on You!
2. The Legend of the Gold Microphone!
3. A Haunt of a Thousand Voices!
4. Total Jeopardy!
5. The Horrible Haunted Hospital of Dr. Phineas Phrag!
6. The Last Inmate!
7. The Dreaded Remake of Jekyll & Hyde!
8. Dark Diner of Route 66!
9. The Sword, The Fox and the Scooby-Doo!
10. One Minute Mysteries!
11. Dance Matron of Mayhem!
12. Returning of the Key Ring!
13. Cher, Scooby and the Sargasso Sea!
14. Scooby-Doo, Dog Wonder!
15. Elementary, My Dear Shaggy!
16. Too Many Dummies!
17. When Urkel-Bots Go Bad!
18. The Feast of Dr. Frankenfooder!
19. The Movieland Monsters!
20. Falling Star Man!
21. The Internet on Haunted House Hill!
22. What a Night, for a Dark Knight!
23. Attack of the Weird Al-osaurus!
24. The Cursed Cabinet of Professor Madds Markson!
25. A Run Cycle Through Time!
26. The Nightmare Ghost of Psychic U!
27. A Fashion Nightmare!
28. The Wedding Witch of Wainsly Hall!
29. The 7th Inning Scare!
30. The Crown Jewel of Boxing!
31. Scooby On Ice!
32. Lost Soles of Jungle River!
33. Caveman on the Half Pipe!
34. A Moveable Mystery!
35. Revenge of the Swamp Monster!
36. The Scooby of a Thousand Faces!
37. Scooby-Doo and the Sky Town Cool School!
38. Now You Sia, Now You Don't!
39. The High School Wolfman's Musical Lament!
40. The Tao of Scoob!
41. The New York Underground!
42. The Phantom, the Talking Dog, and the Hot Hot Hot Sauce!
43. The Lost Mines of Kilimanjaro!
44. Hollywood Knights!
45. Fear of the Fire Beast!
46. The Hot Dog Dog!
47. Quit Clowning!
48. Peebles' Pet Shop of Terrible Terrors!
49. Space Station Scooby
50. Ollie Ollie In-come Free!
51. The Fastest Food Fiend!
52. A Mystery Solving Gang Divided